Featured Post

Soon Hock on Asari Pinktail 40g

After a harrowing experience at Pekan in which I fell sick for 2 weeks, I stopped fishing for nearly a month to focus on studies and work. It was a move which paid back as I managed to snag a rare fish during a quickie freshwater trip today.

Weiyee and me bashed in around 3pm only to reach the spot at around 345pm as the dark clouds started homing in on us. I took out my all terrain umbrella and poncho to wait out the storm. Weiyee and me looked at each other with blank faces but I constantly assured him once the rain was gone, action would commence!

This area held a good number of Peacock Bass and Toman but from the surface action and ripples, it looked that most of the Toman are gone. We found out the reason later as multiple baited hooks were set and tied to a rope along the grass shore line. It was so disgusting...

Anyway, I didn't have much freshwater lures left as I was focusing on Saltwater Fishing this year..... I clipped on a Duel Hardcore 110s 38g and started cranking.... Strangely no takes... It was almost fish on every first 2 casts at this spot. On the third cast, I reeled in like how I would reel in for Tengerri.... and BAM! Peacock on!!! Weiyee was stunned.... This happened a few more times as the fish were laying low due to the downpour... But no worries, they were aggravated by erratic lure action.


 Weiyee was using a Storm Chugbug and the moment the popper hit the water, a Peacock Bass took it but alas, he was busy with his bail arm. I had constant hits and landed many Peacocks but eventually, my lure caught onto a snag and out came the Asari Pinktail 40g. I made many casts using fast crank to attract surrounding predatory fishes and my dream came true when upon landing on the water, my lure was taken by a Toman.... It kept diving down and was massive as I tried to control it.... Hook off though and all I got was a piece of scale....

This happened again but the fish did not get hooked up.... I casted again and again refusing to change to smaller minnows for the PB and then, on super fast crank, something hit my lure with force and this time I made sure it set in well. The fish was heavy but not putting up a fight.... I suspected local Snakehead aka Haruan as I saw the fish was slightly brown from far...

"SOON HOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" was all I shouted as the massive fish came closer and I could clearly see the head. The next few seconds of scrambling was expected as I quickly passed my Boga Grip to Weiyee... The fish made a last dash to the weeds but the hooks held and Weiyee successfully gripped ;the fish.... It weighed 6lbs on the weighing scale...





We continued bashing into another lagoon after that and Toman fries were being attacked by Peacock Bass... We could see the mama toman hard at work but as we started a few casts, the mossies came out to play and I even managed to inhale one! It was exercise cut for us as dengue is a big worry... But no problem.... We had Soon Hock to look forward to!

The Soon Hock was still alive as I gutted it at home.... I said a prayer as I ended its life and Weiyee brought down his family to 163 Kimly Seafood at Bukit Panjang as they prepared for us "Hong Kong Steam" Soon Hock and also Yao Zam Soon Hock.... It was good stuff as the meat of the Soon Hock was comparable to Coral Trout but not as sweet.




And that... is the renewal of my fishing this year. Good luck all!

Comments

Jacob said…
Nice fish! May I know the location?

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Introduction to Prawning: Simple Tips & Tricks

New Prawning Pond in Singapore for 2024: Olden Days Prawning

Singapore Fishing Paypond Locations (updated 31 October 2023)

What is the difference between the Kurau (Indian Threadfin) and Senangin (Blue Threadfin Salmon)?

Marina South Singapore Fishing Spot (Eging and Shore Jigging Recce)

New Fishing and Prawning Pond at SAF Yacht Club (SAFYC), Sembawang (Opened on 27 October 2023)

Ah Hua Fishing and Prawning at Neo Tiew Lane 2, Gallop Kranji Farm Resort (formerly D Kranji Resort) visit