Jeju Hirasuzuki Fishing Guide: Blackfin Seabass in Korea
|
| Our hirasuzuki fishing experience on Jeju Island, South Korea. |
I never imagined that I would go fishing in Korea. When the opportunity to fit some fishing into our Jeju family holiday appeared, I could not say no.
The goal was to catch and eat hirasuzuki, commonly known in English as blackfin seabass. I had heard mixed opinions about its fighting ability, but I was extremely curious about how a wild Korean hirasuzuki would taste.
To make the trip possible, I engaged Hyunwook, also known as Duke, as my fishing guide in Jeju. He speaks English, knows the local shore fishing locations and provided the equipment needed for the trip.
Jeju Hirasuzuki Fishing Trip Details
Fishing base: Seogwipo
Main target: Hirasuzuki, or blackfin seabass
Fishing style: Night shore luring and rock fishing
Guide: Hyunwook, also known as Duke
Equipment: Provided by the fishing guide
Trip type: Fishing experience during a family holiday
Combining a Jeju Family Holiday with Fishing
This trip to Jeju was primarily a family holiday, so I only had one or two nights available for fishing. Fortunately, Hyunwook explained that night fishing for hirasuzuki was normal and recommended.
The arrangement worked well. I spent the daytime exploring Jeju with my family before heading out for night fishing.
I did not bring rods, reels or other fishing equipment from Singapore. Hyunwook provided the necessary gear, which made the experience much easier to fit into a family trip.
If you are visiting Korea with your family and wondering whether you can squeeze in a fishing session, it is certainly possible. Night fishing allows anglers to pursue a bucket-list species without sacrificing the entire family itinerary.
Where We Stayed in Seogwipo
My family and I stayed at GoldOne Hotel & Suites in Seogwipo. We enjoyed the view, and the hotel offered reasonable value during our stay.
According to Hyunwook, its location was also convenient because it was near several of the Jeju fishing spots we planned to visit.
What Hirasuzuki Fishing in Jeju Was Like
I will be honest. The fishing was tough, technical and physically demanding.
We were shore fishing from rocky areas at night. The sea was relatively calm and the hirasuzuki were not particularly active. We had to look for shoreline drop-offs, observe where baitfish were gathering and cast into specific areas rather than simply covering water blindly.
The technique was more specialised than much of the fishing we normally do in Singapore. We used long shore-casting rods with small diving pencils, sinking pencils and shore minnows.
Learning how to work these lures around the rocks and drop-offs was a new experience for me. It was certainly more interesting than blindly casting soft-plastic lures.
Important: Rock fishing can be dangerous, especially at night, in cold water or during rough conditions. Use a knowledgeable local guide, wear suitable safety equipment and avoid exposed areas when conditions are unsafe.
|
| Hyunwook with the hirasuzuki that became our dinner. |
Losing Three Powerful Fish in Jeju
At one location, madai and kingfish were crashing into baitfish near the surface. Seeing large madai attacking baitfish was completely alien to me.
My first major hit came while I was casting along the side of a drop-off. The fish took line for almost ten seconds. Hyunwook began cheering when I hooked up, but the excitement quickly turned into disbelief when the fish escaped.
I could do little more than load the rod and hold on. When the lure returned, one of its treble hooks was missing.
The second fish behaved differently and continued diving. Its powerful, dogged runs reminded me of a madai. It made another run near the end of the fight before the hook pulled. This time, the lure returned with two treble hooks missing.
The third fish was not as large, but it still managed to open the split rings and escape. Losing three fish in quick succession was painful, but it was also one of the most exciting parts of the trip.
We upgraded the terminal tackle the following night, but the large fish never returned. That is fishing.
Hirasuzuki Bites and Fishing Technique
During the two nights, I learnt that light taps and short bites are common when fishing for hirasuzuki. A fish may touch or strike the lure without becoming properly hooked.
Successful hirasuzuki fishing requires anglers to read the shoreline, identify current lines and drop-offs, locate baitfish and present a lure at the correct depth.
The following lure types were used or recommended:
- Small diving pencils
- Sinking pencils
- Shore minnows
- Other slim-profile hard lures that imitate local baitfish
Tips for Planning a Jeju Fishing Trip
These are my main lessons for anyone considering a guided fishing trip in Jeju:
- Get enough rest: Casting continuously into the early hours is physically tiring.
- Plan more than one fishing night: Weather and fish activity can be unpredictable.
- Keep your schedule flexible: Leave some evenings open in case conditions change.
- Prepare for multiple locations: The guide may visit several fishing spots during one night.
- Be physically prepared: Rock fishing may involve climbing, balancing and wading.
- Use a translation app: Papago can help when communicating in Korea.
- Confirm equipment requirements: Ask the guide exactly what will be provided.
- Put safety first: Do not attempt unfamiliar rock-fishing locations alone.
Recommended Jeju Rock Fishing Equipment
- Suitable personal flotation device or fishing life jacket
- Waders appropriate for the conditions
- Rock-fishing boots with suitable grip
- Headlamp and backup light
- Waterproof clothing
- Gloves and warm layers
- Long shore-casting rod
- Appropriate lures and upgraded terminal tackle
Check with your guide before buying or packing equipment because requirements will depend on the season, location and sea conditions.
Recommended English-Speaking Fishing Guide in Jeju
Hyunwook was an excellent English-speaking fishing guide in Korea. He is passionate about fishing and worked extremely hard to give us the experience we wanted.
I told him that my main objective was to catch and eat interesting Korean fish. Although the fishing was difficult, he did everything he could to secure fresh fish for our meals. He even contacted friends to obtain fresh madai and amberjack for us.
Hyunwook was familiar with the local Jeju fishing spots and understood how to handle a fresh catch properly. He performed ikejime before bleeding, gutting and cleaning the fish carefully.
He even went fishing again after dropping me at the hotel at 5am. When I asked why, he said he wanted to make sure we had fish to eat. It is safe to say he is a fishing addict!
|
| The crazy guy went fishing again after dropping me at the hotel! |
How to Contact Hyunwook, Jeju Fishing Guide
Telephone: +82 10-9921-6337
LINE ID: hyunwook94
Facebook: Hyunwook on Facebook
Instagram: @hyunwuk94_koo2
Contact him directly to confirm his latest availability, guiding rates, fishing locations, equipment provided and suitable seasons.
|
| Hyunwook’s fishing guide contact card. |
What Does Hirasuzuki Taste Like?
Eating hirasuzuki was a new experience for me. We prepared the blackfin seabass Japanese-style as sushi and sashimi.
I particularly enjoyed the back meat because it was soft. The flavour did not remind me strongly of ordinary seabass. It was closer to a lightly flavoured snapper, with a balanced sweetness and rich texture.
The fish was fatty without tasting fishy. If I catch another hirasuzuki, I would also like to try pan-searing it or using it in fish soup.
We also ate Korean-caught kanpachi, or amberjack, and tai, or madai snapper. Delish!
Watch Our Jeju Fish and Sashimi Video
The video below covers our Korean sashimi and sushi experience:
Watch our Jeju wild-fish sashimi and sushi experience on TikTok
Watch Our Jeju Hirasuzuki Fishing Trip
This second video provides a trip run-through with Hyunwook during our search for blackfin seabass:
Watch our Jeju hirasuzuki fishing trip on TikTok
Final Thoughts on Fishing in Jeju
Jeju hirasuzuki fishing was much more technical and physically demanding than I expected. The fishing was tough, three powerful fish destroyed our terminal tackle and the target species did not make things easy.
Despite that, the experience fitted surprisingly well into a family holiday. I could spend the day with my family, fish at night and finally taste the blackfin seabass I had travelled to Korea for.
Having an experienced local guide made a major difference. Hyunwook provided the equipment, selected the fishing spots, prioritised safety and worked hard to make the trip memorable.
For anglers planning a guided fishing trip in Jeju, South Korea, allow several nights, prepare for physically demanding rock fishing and remain flexible when the weather or fish do not cooperate.
Tight lines and stay hooked on Baktao!
Comments