Featured Post

'Fat Monkeys' western food at 965 Upper Serangoon Road (Punggol Nasi Lemak)

I have pretty high standards of having cow (beef) on my plate so I was sceptical when I read the description of Fat Monkey's 'Dabomb'. The description on the menu said succulent beef with caramelised onions, cheddar cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce. The picture of the dish made me think I was eating a giant beef puff. For someone that eats beef at rare or medium rare with salt, this didn't look good to me.

So I waited.

And then it came out. The exterior looked normal enough. As I cut into the puff, the oozing cheese was also pretty normal (I mean, oozing cheese things are so common these days) and this was no different. As I dug in, the simple and proven combination of onions, cheese, bbq sauce and beef worked. The beef patties were very juicy and not overcooked. They were not overly seasoned or done so that was good and I had the feeling that they were handmade.


The dish came with fries and salad too albeit the side dishes being too normal.

At $13.90, this wasn't a very cheap meal although I could appreciate why it wasn't. I didn't weigh but it looks like they used at least 300g of beef in their patties. If it was indeed handmade, that's tough labour for sure.

And yes, what western meals would be complete without sides? We tried the truffle fries and garlic mash potatoes. Truffle fries were at $5.90 and while the truffle was acceptable, we found the portion of truffle to be too little for our liking. Plus, the truffle wasn't spread out evenly. But that's our fault lah. We were expecting too much for a humble $5.90 because we were too spoilt. I mean truffle is very expensive so we understood.

Garlic Mash (no filter)

The garlic mash potatoes was another thing that was out of this world. The mashed potatoes just had the right amount of mashiness and bite while not trying too hard. You know some mash potaoes taste aweful when they try too hard to be atas and end up having too much starch in it! You can sense the love in this one.

Conclusion

What struck me the most was that the owners behind Fat Monkeys were young folks in their 20s and they're really humble folks that aim to give their customers a good feed. The creative dishes they try to make also deserve credit and praise. I mean, if it were me, I'd probably be churning out chicken chops just to get revenue going. Who would bother about 'Dabomb'?

The food here appeals to me because they're very good with their meat and that's very important as its the main course. Ingredients also seem to be very freshly selected and curated. Sauces are promised to be home made too. Prices aren't high too since it's at a coffee-shop. Go on and try some of their dishes and skip the Punggol Nasi Lemak. Try something new lah.

Address:
965 Upper Serangoon Road Stall 5, Singapore 534721
+65 8380 2555
https://www.facebook.com/FatMonkeysSG/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic Introduction to Prawning: Simple Tips & Tricks

What is the difference between the Kurau (Indian Threadfin) and Senangin (Blue Threadfin Salmon)?

New Prawning Pond in Singapore for 2024: Olden Days Prawning

Singapore Fishing Paypond Locations (updated 31 October 2023)

New Fishing and Prawning Pond at SAF Yacht Club (SAFYC), Sembawang (Opened on 27 October 2023)

Fishing at Barelang Fishing Pond (with trip itinerary and tips), Batam

Marina South Singapore Fishing Spot (Eging and Shore Jigging Recce)